Blogs > Union Tally

A Philadelphia Union blog hosted by Christopher A. Vito and Matthew De George

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

UNION'S VALDES, FARFAN SHINE AS MLS ALL-STARS PREVAIL AGAINST CHELSEA

(Times staff / ROBERT J GURECKI)
For most of the night, Union interim manager John Hackworth had a good time ... except for when MLS All-Star coach Ben Olsen decided to sub in the Union's Carlos Valdes late in the first half.

"Carlos got an opportunity early and I told Ben I was pissed because I didn't want Carlos to play more than 45 minutes," said Hackworth, one of Olsen's assistants. "We had it out on the bench, and now we're all good."

Valdes got 55 minutes, Union teammate Michael Farfan took in the final 16 and the MLS All-Stars topped Chelsea FC, 3-2, Wednesday night in the MLS All-Star Game at PPL Park.

Seattle's Eddie Johnson scored in stoppage time to lead MLS, which required a first-half goal from Chris Wondolowski and a second-half strike from Chris Pontius to avoid staying winless in the league's summer showcase game for a fifth consecutive season.

For more from Hackworth and Farfan about the game, read on. Also, I've embedded video of Valdes (pictured above), upon entering the match, which can be viewed below.

JOHN HACKWORTH
On Farfan:
"You know, Michael -- I can't say enough about that kid because he just comes in and he's class. His touch is good, he weights his passes good, he fits right in, he doesn't look out of place at all. I'm really happy for him.

On reception for his players:
"It gave me goosebumps. I thought it was incredible. It's fantastic. It's great for our fans to see that and to embrace Carlos and Michael was fantastic.

MICHAEL FARFAN
On the game:
"It's something I'll remember for the rest of my life. To have all these fans cheering for us is an amazing experience."

On brother Gabriel Farfan's message:
"Nothing. He was just excited."

On disbelief in getting subbed on for David Beckham:
"I didn't (believe it). I never thought that would happen, but I'm excited that it did. Just really happy to be out here with everyone."

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home