Blogs > Union Tally

A Philadelphia Union blog hosted by Christopher A. Vito and Matthew De George

Friday, June 22, 2012

ADU DOESN'T THINK NOWAK'S EXIT WILL EFFECT HIS TENURE IN PHILLY

(Associated Press)
He first played for Peter Nowak at 14 years old, when he became the youngest player drafted into MLS. He won a championship with Nowak, endured good and bad times with Nowak. And he reunited with Nowak last season, by signing with the Union.

So it’d only be natural for Freddy Adu to worry about his time with the Union in their, ya know, post-Nowak era. The other day, Adu even went as far as admitting he came to Philly to play for Nowak.

“Right. I mean, I did,” Adu said. “But I also did because I knew John Hackworth. He was my coach when I was 12 years old in Bradenton. There were a lot of familiar faces and, at the end of the day, that made me want to come here and be a part of this organization and be a part of this team. … At the end of the day, you come here to work.”

Aside from a pesky two-match stretch last month, the Union’s 23-year-old veteran midfielder — it felt peculiar typing that — has been incredibly crafty. His production has been down, but everyone’s has for the Union, the lowest-scoring side in MLS.

Because of Adu’s allegiance to Nowak, who he referred to as “like a father” when he signed with the Union last season, one has to wonder how Adu’s play will suffer under Hackworth, who has taken over for Nowak. Can't imagine it would, but you never know if playing time, motivation and production will factor into Adu's next few months with the Union.

Maybe the relationship between Adu and Nowak wasn't as strong as outsiders believe, though. Adu said the other day that he sent a text to Nowak after Union CEO Nick Sakiewicz dismissed him.

“I haven’t heard back,” Adu said. “Obviously, I know (Nowak) has his stuff to deal with. I just sent him a text wishing him the best and thanking him for what he did for me in my career and thanking him, telling him if he ever needs anything, I’m always here for him.”


#    #    #    #    #

 Two things happened Thursday in Union news: They won the bidding process to host the U.S. Open Cup semifinal, should they make it that far ... and it was announced Union interim manager John Hackworth will not coach the MLS All-Stars. Read more about both here.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home